Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Rain Rain Rain

It's been raining all day, and I feel that I'm finally experiencing English weather in all its glory. I've been lucky so far, only a few drizzly days disbursed by clouds and occasional sunshine. But not today. The wind is howling outside my window, which is easily mistaken for high pitched screaming if it takes you by surprise, creepy. And consistently heavy rain too. I don't dare venture off the sidewalks for fear of disappearing into a bog.

It has also zapped what little motivation I had to accomplish anything, so the entirety of the day has been spent in the safety of my little room, reading and messing around on the internet clad in pajamas, emerging now and then to refill my hot chocolate. If it sounds like I'm complaining, you're mistaken. I can't think of anything better:)

3 comments:

  1. Ok a couple of thoughts. 1) I'm disappointed at the lack of mention of banshees; you are, after all in the land of banshees...at least according to "what's the story Wishbone". b) bogs are definitely English, but I was looking for a moor reference; maybe even with some Catherine and Heathcliff dialog thrown in. Finally, I can't think of anything better than pj's and hot chocolate...good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Besides your father's lack of knowledge in the difference between numbering and lettering, there are a few things wrong here... Banshees are decidedly Irish. With all due respect to Wishbone and your dad's research methods, they are still Irish. Bogs are not necessarily English, in fact, one would probably associate them more with areas (current countries) that were in the Halstatt culture system circa 500 B.C. Now, I'm not so naive that I believe that there are not any bogs in England (see: Lindow Man) but the majority lie in Northeastern countries (Germany, Netherlands, Denmark) lining the North Sea coast line and Ireland after England's lack of preservation efforts led to the destruction of all but 10% of England's bogs.

    You're on Gambo's turf now... Anthropology rules.

    ...but PJs and Hocho sound really good too.

    ReplyDelete