Saturday, October 30, 2010

Lake District tour

AMAZING!!!!--doesn't even begin to describe my day today. The Lake District is unlike anything I've ever seen. And being able to visit this time of year with the trees decked out in their autumn colors was such a treat. (I'll attach a few pictures at the bottom of the post, but I put the rest up on facebook).

We rode around the area on a coach for about half of the day, which afforded us great views from Kirkstone Pass (one of the highest points of elevation at about 1,500ft) and of 7 lakes in the district. Fortunately there were no spanish-speaking German kids behind me this time, only four obnoxiously loud Americans. I felt right at home.

We stopped first in Glenridding to walk about for a half an hour, and continued on to Keswick (pronounced "Kehssick" by our cheery bus driver Paul) for a longer stop and lunch. It's here that I had my first fish n' chips!! Finally legitimizing the title of my blog I guess, haha. It was insane. I saw loads of people walking around the downtown market with newspaper full of greasy fish n' chips--I couldn't think of anything I wanted more in that moment--so I tracked down the source, the Old Keswickian. It did not disappoint. I ceremoniously joined the congregation of people parked directly outside the take-away to scarf down what can only be described as greasy, salty, vinegary, breaded, heaven. I think I burnt my tongue actually, but it was totally worth it.

Getting back on the bus, stomach feeling like lead, we made a tour through Ambleside, and stopped briefly in Grasmere. This is one of the famous stomping grounds of William Wordsworth (and also of note, his devoted and poetically-under appreciated sister Dorothy--thanks 'Women Writers of Britain and America' seminar), and I did my duty of English Lit major by paying homage to his grave. Whatever. All I was really looking to find was Sarah Nelson's Gingerbread Hut, which has boasted originally celebrated gingerbread since 1860. Count me in. My stomach had settled to a dull ache at this point, so I thought it reasonable to eat the entire 6-pack of gingerbread squares that I bought. Definite trip highlight. Unfortunately we had only a half an hour to enjoy the town, so I didn't get a chance to return and dramatically recite Victorian poems to Wordsworth's headstone. But I'm sure he understands.

Our final stop was in Windermere, where I partook in a 45-minute boat cruise of the lake. It was alright. Unfortunately rain drove us from the scenic upper deck down into the hold, but it was pleasant all the same. Afterwards, I'll be honest, I was weary of wandering around in the drizzle, so I spent the remaining hour sipping coffee in a cozy cafe. The folks at the table across from me were deeply engaged in books about ancient Mesopotamia; sufficing to make me feel I'd been exposed to enough scholastics throughout the day to afford me a pass on homework tonight.

That was about the extent of the day. We drove back in the dark, and I nodded off (thanks to my tendency to obtain only 4 hours of sleep before all day excursions). It was a great tour, and one more place I can mark off my list to see! Next up is a proper English football match in Wigan on November 10th!

Glenridding




Keswick

From Lake Windermere



Windermere

1 comment:

  1. I don't really have anything pithy to say (do I ever). It's just that I can't stand seeing this beautiful blog entry with no comments. It's a sickness really; I'll get help.

    ReplyDelete