Monday, October 11, 2010

First day

Today:

 PHASE 1-
 Had my first seminar on Women Writers. Was a little intimidated by the class size (with only 11 people I might have to actually know what I'm talking about). Didn't realize I needed to have an addiction to Jane Austen to qualify for this class. Also didn't realize that dress code was wearing tops with bras strategically showing, hooker boots, and messenger bags. Felt extremely unintelligent talking about literature with my American accent, among a room of proper brits.

PHASE 2-
 Finished stupid seminar and met my MSU friend Alisa, who is studying abroad in Spain this semester, and who happened to be on-campus visiting Lancaster! Aaaaggghhhhhh!! A real live friend from home! It was so surreal, and absolutely wonderful. We caught the bus into town for a beer and a bite, and due to my lack of local knowledge, just happened to end up at the worst pub in Lancaster, Fibber McGee's. Of course. It even sounds awful. But we enjoyed ourselves and weren't accosted by any toothless, drunken Irishmen, so no complaints here. We left and met the friend she was staying with at a GOOD pub, and continued to revel in each others American-ness until it was time to leave for the train station. What a treat. She loved Lancaster, and was actually a bit jealous that I picked such an awesome place to study (Salamanca isn't all it's cracked up to be- i.e. no cute guys). And I was overjoyed to listen to someone who sounded as harsh and inarticulate as me.

PHASE 3-
 Arrived back at my flat only to be mercilessly tormented about going to Fibber McGee's.

 Good day:)

2 comments:

  1. Shelby, we are enjoying your discovery of dear auld England immensely. BTW, Fibber Magee and his wife Molly were an old time (my time!)comedy duo. They would be the type to have the worst pub in England.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you go, ask for the Throckmorton P. Gildersleeve special and see if they throw you out.

    ReplyDelete