Friday, October 15, 2010

The weeks reports

Hey all. I'm sorry I haven't updated you in the past couple of days, but I can't say much has gone on around here (as opposed to the other entries I've been writing? Haha).

 I finished up my first week of classes, meaning attending a total of 6 classroom hours...almost an impossible feat. Not. When given an introduction to the academia here, they definitely give you the impression you will be challenged. Challenged to evade insurmountable levels of boredom? English students that have gone abroad in America assured me that this is a joke compared to what I'm used to, awesome. On one hand, I could become that over-prepared, diligent student that I never am. Or (and I like this one better), I could adapt to the pace of learning here as any proper visiting student should, and enjoy the hours upon hours of free drinking/sleeping/adventuring time that I've been awarded.  :)

 The second thing I've been struggling with this week, is coming to terms with my complete and utter hatred and dissatisfaction of the current university gym. Ugghhhhh, Icccckkkk, So sweatyyyyy...Is almost all I can manage to convey. Think of a 50's era brick building. Now think of 70's era weight-lifting equipment and maybe I'd go up to 90's on the fitness equipment. Now think of it all jam-packed with sweaty dudes and inappropriately dressed Asians.Top it all of with the thought of spending close to $100 to enjoy this splendid atmosphere for the next 3 months....now you understand. I hate to complain, I really do. But when I'm running on the treadmill and directly facing a dirty brick wall for 40 minutes at a time, I find myself less than amused.

I mean, there is an explanation for these conditions. The university is currently in the process of building a brand-new facility that will open up in 2011, that'll have nice big windows, and proper air conditioning, and lights that don't glow orange. But that's next year and I'm here THIS year. Tragic. I can only imagine walking back into my haven, the MSU rec facility, and kissing it's polished, sanitary, laminate flooring and promising never to bitch about exercising ever again.

In other news, no nights out for Shelby this week. I felt I should exercise some self control. But my flat mates kindly pointed out that my lack of social outings certainly wasn't making me friends any faster, thanks guys, so I will be reemerging into Lancaster nightlife on Saturday night. I'll also be taking my day trip to Edinburgh tomorrow, so big day!

I'm not sure what's on the agenda yet, definitely checking out the castle and walking the Royal Mile, possibly a Whiskey-Scotch tour? They're giving everyone a free dram of scotch with admission at the beginning of the tour, so I'm not ruling that one out yet. And hopefully just finding some good food and a good view, we'll see. You'll get all the details(and maybe even some pictures) tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment